International Gypsy Fest
World Roma Festival
5. - 9. August 2014
The International Gypsy Fest is the largest Romany festival, which is organized in Slovakia since 2008. Until now it was supported by several top politicians – president of Slovak republic Ivan Gašparovič, former prime minister of Slovak republic Iveta Radičová, minister of culture of Slovak republic Marek Maďarič and also minister of education, science and sport of Slovak republic Dušan Čaplovič.
During the five years the artists from India, Brasil, Argentina, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Macedonia, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Czech republic and Slovakia performed at the festival.
The largest domestic media – Slovak television, Radio Expres, Press Agency of Slovak republic, but also majority and minority web portals regularly inform about the festival. Also prestigious American television CNN broadcasted a news report about International Gypsy Fest.
In 2014 International Gypsy Fest will take place under the patronage of prime minister of the Slovak Republic Robert Fico, city mayor of the capital of Slovak republic Bratislava Milan Ftáčnik and mandatary of Slovak government for Romany communities and member of Slovak parliament Peter Pollák.
The main goals of festival are:
- to show richness of gypsy culture and traditions, which are the part of Slovak, European and world culture
- to contribute in process of integration of gypsy people into society and to make multicultural society
- to improve the relationships between majority and Romany community by way of gypsy culture presentation
- to be not only musical, but also educational, interactive project
- to influence positively upon the public opinion with the use of “Romany examples”